Monday, March 8, 2010

Rating Posterous

The website Posterous is an easy to use writing space on which you can express yourself through post blogs, videos, and pictures.
Accessibility: You can post a blog from your email, and do not need to have an account to post a blog or comment. However, if you do decide to create a profile, like I did, you can post by web also. If you have previously posted blogs without registering with the website, and later decide you want to create a profile,  you have the option to link past blogs with your new profile. By enabling people to blog from Email, greatly enhances the accessibility, one user commented, "If you can email, you can use Posterous. Love it!"


Privacy: Posterous only requires a valid Email address. You do not need to create a profile to use Posterous; you can be completely anonymous, and have your blog read by anyone. You can also choose to create an account on which you can be as fake, real, or anonymous as you like.
If you create an account, you have the option of limiting the access people have to your posts. You can create a group and allow access to only those people, or if you're worried about strangers commenting on your posts you can edit the privacy options for that as well.

Technology: On Posterous, you can post pictures, videos, and links through Emailed blogs. If you attach a picture or pictures through email Posterous automatically sets them up like a photo album complete with tabs. They will even transcode any video you post, and URL's will become linked when published on Posterous. The website has a simple layout and not a lot of ads so everything loads quickly.

Easy to Use: Posterous is really easy to use, the only problem I've encountered is that I am having trouble inserting pictures and videos because I can't find the button which says "insert picture or video," but I can find the "Link" button where I can insert a link to another website. If I want to post pictures/videos/music I find it much easier to post via Email instead of through Web.

Social Access: If you want your blog to be read by others, Posterous makes it really easy for you. There is the option to link your Posterous account with your facebook, twitter, flickr, friendfeed, picasa, youtube, blogger, or wordpress account. You can also find friends on Posterous by entering their Email addresses to see if they have an account. People can subscribe to your account and be updated when you create a new blog. Obviously, they are trying to attract more users and have made exposure simplistic for users.

My over all experience with Posterous has been good, I appreciate the anonymity it lends me, and also the freedom to write whatever I want. There is NO THEME to Posterous blogs, people write about anything from Politics so short fiction, and people post videos and pictures about anything that interests them. The diversity, accessibility, and privacy make it an ideal writing space for me: it fulfills my criteria in a perfect blogsite.

2 comments:

  1. Katie ~
    I am reading your review, and I just clicked on the link to posterous to look at the site one more time, and I saw my name on the front page!

    You know how they change the featured posts at the bottom every time you open it up? Well, when I logged on just now, a guy named Gabor was at the bottom (Gabor is a very popular first name in Hungarian -- for males).

    Of course I clicked on it and found out that he is an engineer here in the SF area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    I had the same problems with trying to post on the actual site. I couldn't figure out how to post pictures and videos. But I tried the emailing thing today, and I really enjoyed the experience. I think I'm going to start blogging and posting this way from now on. That reviewer was absolutely correct.

    ReplyDelete