Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Freewriting on Possible Website Topics

I don't really want to create a website about my review on Posterous, because it was just that: a review. I felt the least connected to that paper, and don't think there is enough content to create a website.

I would be self-concious about creating a website based on my research paper, because my research paper is based on pro-eating disorder websites, and I do not want to create something with a lot of pro-eating disorder content. I had a couple points in this paper, that the success of these websites is due to site structure including produsage and anonymity. Another point I made was how identity is constructed through these websites. Maybe I could start with stereotypes and you click on a stereotype "saint" "normal" "hater"? I'm not sure how a story would unfold, and I would want people to have similar ideas that I have, and I don't want to guide people.

Trust: Online Identity--anonymity vs. personal identification-- pick one and then go down a path of quotes and phrases and different options to see what qualities in a site are necessary for user-trust.

Or I could do a site on my literacy autobiography and have a little cartoon go different places and communicate with people in different ways to the effect that the site communicates the idea of global community through the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! I like your idea about doing your web site on online identity.It is a topic that will always be in discussion because while the internet gives a lot of great things, no one is 100% safe because of the ability to mask your identity. This topic is similar to what citizen journalism has to take on since everything is done on the web. How do we know that the information we view on a citizen site is from a legitimate source? There is a lot to consider and be weary about when surfing the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,
    I definitely think that staying away from creating a site based on pro-eating disorder websites might be a smart idea. Although you don't talk about citizen journalism exactly, one of your possible website ideas revolves around the concept of identity, which relates a great deal to citizen journalism. By creating a website around the idea of online identity you are allowing the user an oppurtunity to see for themselves whther or not a site is anonymous and if it can be reliable.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete